Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

01 SC1 Bad Wheel Bearing?

vando002
04-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Hi everyone,

I have an 01 SC1 5-Speed 1.9 SOHC with 103k miles. I have been experiencing a steady grinding noise on my driver side when turning right or sometimes when just going straight. Later it turned into a grinding coupled with a wobbling feeling on the same side. The tire wobble happens under 40 mph, then goes away when going faster than that. While wobbling, if i turn slightly left, POOF, all oddness goes away. I've replaced my wheel bearing hub assemblies on my 99 blazer 4x4 which was not a fun job. I just want to be sure this issue seems like the wheel bearing hub or if it could be the CV joint. I read somewhere that if you take a sharp turn and you hear a loud pop noise, it's the CV joint. My car does that too, so now I just don't turn sharp to either direction.

Also, has anyone else changed their bearings? Is it the whole assembly or are there bearings inside that can be changed? Which would be easier? Any price estimates for doing it myself?

Any response is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Cat Fuzz
04-17-2010, 12:12 PM
I believe it's possible to just replace the bearing but it requires a press. Sounds to me like you have two problems. A bad bearing and a bad CV joint. You probably have a torn CV boot. Take a look.

vando002
05-02-2010, 10:44 PM
So I started tearing apart the car to replace the bearing first, since it's easier and cheaper than the CV joint. Since I had to take the tie rod end off during the process and noticed the tie rod was totally shot. I replaced the tie rod end, put everything back together and the wobbling went away. I guess that was my problem. I just wanted to follow up with my findings.

Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!