Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel gague

99southernhoe
04-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Hi All,

I have a 99 chevy tahoe LS 4dr 112K miles filled the tank on Tuesday, guage read full. on Wednesday started the truck gague went to E. Turned the truck off gague slowly started moving up, but stopped @ half a tank. started truck again needle moved to full then went to E.
truck starts without hesitation. is the sender gone?

j cAT
04-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Hi All,

I have a 99 chevy tahoe LS 4dr 112K miles filled the tank on Tuesday, guage read full. on Wednesday started the truck gague went to E. Turned the truck off gague slowly started moving up, but stopped @ half a tank. started truck again needle moved to full then went to E.
truck starts without hesitation. is the sender gone?

did you just buy this vehicle ?

the fuel gauge issue has been around for over a decade..most all with these type GM vehicles/trucks have this issue..this is because GM used a material in the sending resistor mounted in the fuel tank that oxidizes with the fuel...especially when the fuel has a small amount of sulfur..

It has been reported that the newer fuel pumps have had this defect corrected ...?

I have had this issue on my 2000 silverado for about 7yrs...most times it does work , but if the vehicle sits for a couple of days the sender goes bad until operation / movement cleans off the film..

Add your comment to this topic!