Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Calsonic paint colours

mbwoods
04-15-2010, 12:09 PM
hi

ive just bought 2 models from ebay:-
Tamiya 24184 Calsonic Nismo Skyline GT-R (R33)
Tamiya 24272 Calsonic Nissan Skyline GT-R 2003 (R34)

the colours states TS-44 Brilliant Blue, as nobody sell paints here, theyre pretty hard to come by now till Tamiya reformulates the paints.

now, i have the original Calsonic Skyline (R32) 24102, it states the colours to use:- X-4:1 and X-14:2, 1 part blue and 2 parts sky blue

im wondering as i cant get the spray paint, that im gonna have to refer to the original paint mixture, is this the same as mixing the paints the same colour as TS-44 spray?

stevenoble
04-15-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm assuming you have an airbrush..?? Save yourself a whole lot of hassle and nip over to Hiroboy and buy this (http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1371)

mbwoods
04-16-2010, 02:28 PM
i could, i'd rather save my money and mix my colours refering to the 24102 Calsonic Skyline

i have X-4 Blue and X-14 Sky Blue, and large bottle X-20A thinners, as i have airbrush, i think i'll go ahead and mix up a batch, just wondered if mixing it matches the same colour as TS-44

stevenoble
04-17-2010, 04:26 AM
I could, I'd rather save my money and mix my colours referring to the 24102 Calsonic Skyline

You'll save more money with the Zero paint. That one bottle at just under £5 will have enough paint to do 3-4 models....

I have X-4 Blue and X-14 Sky Blue, and large bottle X-20A thinners, as I have airbrush, I think I'll go ahead and mix up a batch, just wondered if mixing it matches the same colour as TS-44

Yes, it will match the Calsonic colour or TS-44. The Tamiya acrylics will not spray as well as the Zero paints on a body and they take forever to dry before you can mask over them for the window frames and such...

klutz_100
04-17-2010, 05:51 AM
I agree with Steve. It's a "no brainer" especially if you are in the UK. The Zero paint will give better results for a lot less effort IMHO and all for the price of a pint of your favourite beer ;)

But to answer your direct question, IMO you won't get the "same" color as the TS paint but - in Tamiya's best opinion - you will get a very close match.

mbwoods
04-17-2010, 10:48 AM
thanks for ur help guys

regarding zero paints, i'd have to buy clear coats as the paint dries matt?! as for mixing the blue colour, ive done it before on the original Calsonic Skyline (R32) 24102

anyway, with mixing paints, ive got another model, Mercedes C9 AEG, that requires paint mixing for the body colour, a sort of very dark blue colour

to steven aka klutz, dont suppose u can get TS-44?

Add your comment to this topic!