Change Oil Transmission and remove seal Filter!!

rafaone
04-13-2010, 04:06 AM
Hello there,
I got a Tahoe 2001 Z71, and I was tryying to do the whole maintenance regarding differentials, transfer case and transmission, but there I found two difficulties, first to pull out the oil pan, and second to remove seal filter, can somebody help me out to solve this ??
Thanks Rafaone

P.S. The Transmission that I have there is a 4L60E :)

MT-2500
04-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Hello there,
I got a Tahoe 2001 Z71, and I was tryying to do the whole maintenance regarding differentials, transfer case and transmission, but there I found two difficulties, first to pull out the oil pan, and second to remove seal filter, can somebody help me out to solve this ??
Thanks Rafaone

P.S. The Transmission that I have there is a 4L60E :)

Filter seal can be remove with a sharp chisel from side lip.
Mash seal in without cutting transmission housing.
And drive new seal in with a 7/8 -15/16 socket turned upside down.

Always use the hard rubber rubber gasket for pan gasket and correct fluid new GM in transmission and transfer case fluids and right rear ends oil.

Some times transmission ha to be raised up in rear and or cross-member slid back to remove transmission pan,

jdmccright
04-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Not sure exactly for your truck, but as I recall there are isues with the shift linkage clearance (on older models...yours would likely have an electronic shift module) and also you may have to move the rear transmission support crossmember aft a few inches to get the pan to clear the valve body inside.

The tranny fluid filter should just pull straight down and out of the valve body...you might need to twist & pull to get it loosened. The filter seal that is driven into the valve body is a PITA to remove if it has been driven flush to the body. You'll need a hook-type seal puller (I've used a hook from a 3-jaw puller and a screwdriver through the hole as a two-handled hook...and alot of yanking. A slide hammer with hook attachment would do it much easier if you have the underbody clearance.) to pull it down & out enough to collapse it with a screwdriver to the edge. Just be careful to not score the body's seal wall with the hook. When you drive the new one in, leave the seal lip slightly exposed (1-2mm) so you can skip the yanking and simply collapse it.

Hope this helps!

Add your comment to this topic!