Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 grand voyager needs help

lori63
04-13-2010, 12:52 AM
a year ago my gages started stopping and starting and then they quit altogether along with my back wiper and I noticed that when the ABS light would go off they would work but when that light came back on they quit working again now its been year since they worked (thank god I have not run out of gas or gotten a ticket as I do have a lead foot and the cruise does not work) I been wondering if I find someone to unhook the ABS light do you think the gages and wiper would work again? I mean I think I figured out that that ABS stands for ( A BULLSHIT SENSOR) I mean what else does it do? please help me I am blonde but some of my dumb ideas have worked before ... someone said that it might be hooked on to the wheel .. is that a joke?

Airjer_
04-13-2010, 11:38 AM
A typical problem for the all the gauges to stop working is the solder joints for the main harness that plugs into the back of the instrument cluster get weak and essentially break.

The instrument cluster dissassembled
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/airjer/clusterfull.jpg

The bad solder joint. If you look carefully you can see a ring around the joint. This one happens to be the main ground. A quick resolder of this pin and the cluster worked like new.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/airjer/clusterzoom.jpg

The ABS light is letting you know there is a problem with the Anit-Lock Brake system. A quick scan will help identify the problem area.

Check the vacuum lines at the cruise control servo. Its pretty common for them to break or get melted through by batter acid. Some inexpensive vacuum hose can quickly repair a broken line.

lori63
04-13-2010, 08:41 PM
that sounds cool but why do they work when the ABS light goes off and is the back windshield wiper hooked into that also because that works at the same time .... I miss that also ...

Airjer_
04-13-2010, 09:04 PM
It might be using the ABS light circuit as a ground. Once there is power on the cicuit the ground is interrupted. Just a theory but weird things happen when grounds go bad! This is either something really simple or it will take the best of the best to figure out.

lori63
04-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Thank you I will tell my friends these suggestions and see if that helps them fix my stuff ... all theorys help in the long run I am open to all help only a fool does not ask for help and does not at least listen and try

RIP
04-14-2010, 01:59 AM
Here's a slideshow showing how to get at the cluster. Just click open "98 T&C Dash Removal" in right column then "slideshow" at upper right http://www.flickr.com/photos/landar/

A melted climate control panel connector can kill the cluster too. That's where the rear wiper switches are. Hmm.

Airjer_
04-14-2010, 10:33 AM
A melted climate control panel connector can kill the cluster too. That's where the rear wiper switches are. Hmm.

Good point, didn't think of checking that. It only takes a couple minutes to pull the screws and check.

Add your comment to this topic!