Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

crankshaft pully 97 2.5L

radrobbie
04-12-2010, 07:54 AM
How on earth do I get the crankshaft pulley off. There is no hole that goes all the way through, so can't get anything through to leverage against the crankcase. Tried a pulley strap wrench. No way I was holding that dude. Any suggestions?

radrobbie
04-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Ok. Nobody seems to have an answer for this so I'm going to try the starter bump method. Didn't want to do that because the original problem is a broken timing belt. Any comments before I do this?

Jagwar
04-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Everything work out for you? I'm thinking a replacement crankshaft pulley is in order on my '98 LX because it seems to be in two seperate pieces. The pulley face itself (where the belts ride) has slid inboard causing the inside belt to rub against the timing belt cover and fray.
When I first looked at it I wondered how I was going to re-align this, then realized that I could just pry the outer edge of the pulley and push it back inline. But as soon as I reinstalled the belts and started the car it worked its way back inward.
I thought the thing was a single solid piece of metal, but I guess I was wrong. Anyone got any insight into this and/or what replacement brand I should look for?

radrobbie
04-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Wow. The starter bump method was so easy it scared me. Two hits of the key loosened the bolt and it came right off. Made me feel a little foolish for spending two hours fooling with a strap wrench and other stuff.

Add your comment to this topic!