Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Tahoe - Driver Power Seat

BIGPROFITT
04-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Seat goes forward and backward. Lumbar works. Heated seats work. Seat will not go up and down. What is the deal?

Jeremy-WI
04-11-2010, 02:29 PM
I would think the switch would be the first thing to go bad, get a voltmeter or 12v test light and pull the connector off the motor, insert the test light and then use the switch. I would imagine they are wired like power windows or locks, when the switch is in the neutral position, both wires to the motor are grounds, then when the switch is moved one wire or the other switches to 12v

BIGPROFITT
04-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Ok, I looked under the seat while pressing the switch up and then down. Can see the motor torque when I press the switch. So I think the switch is working. Have discovered that the motor that raises and lowers the rear part of the bottom of the seat works. The rear part of the bottom of the seat moves up and down. It is only thr front part of the bottom of the seat that is not working. It basically looks like the motor tries to move the seat then hangs or locks up. Do I need to replace the motor? Thanks

jdmccright
04-13-2010, 10:55 AM
I'll guess one of the plastic gear teeth have broken causing the motor to jam. You might try to replace the broken gear but unless you go to a junkyard, used parts, or maybe eBay, you'll probably be forced to buy the whole motor unit. Good luck!

BIGPROFITT
04-18-2010, 02:43 PM
So no "easy fix" suggestions? Like tap on the motor here or tap on the motor there, etc??

j cAT
04-18-2010, 06:42 PM
So no "easy fix" suggestions? Like tap on the motor here or tap on the motor there, etc??

you should find out exactly what you need..then go to the scrap yard if necessary...you don't want to go to the dealer .............

jdmccright
04-19-2010, 08:04 AM
If the motor is physically jammed as you describe, then you'll have to disassemble it to find out why. Could be the motor gears as I mentioned before or the screwjack. Tap all you want, but I don't think that'll do it in this case...this ain't electrical.

Add your comment to this topic!