Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Come 'on hopefully someone will know what this problem is!!!

crazyoldergirlie
04-10-2010, 04:05 AM
I have a 1997 Grand Prix with a overheating problem ... nothing new for these cars huh LOL! ok,, I changed the elbow at the intake to the belt tensioner because it was leaking, also at the sametime I changed the upper intake gasket.
I started the car and a couple of cylinders filled with water! I looked around and found a crack in the upper intake manifold so i replaced it. The car ran great! for 2 days. I turned off the car went to turn the car on again it wouldn't start due to Hydro lock. Any suggestions PLEASE!
THANKS...

BNaylor
04-10-2010, 06:25 AM
Was the engine crankcase flushed of all old coolant and new oil and filter after the UIM job?

Did you replace the lower intake manifold gaskets?

Mickey#1
04-10-2010, 09:19 AM
If it overheated bad enough then you might have warped the cylinder head(s). I'd do a compression check.

crazyoldergirlie
04-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi, I did change the lower intake manifold gaskets but the funny thing is it never ever overheated! It seems that the upper intake fills up with antifreeze because when I take the upper intake off there is antifreeze filling up in the injector ports and the top of the lower intake is covered with antifreeze. Any other help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again...

BNaylor
04-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Are you still getting coolant pooled up in the lower intake manifold valley even after all the work above?

What brand UIM was used and brand gaskets both UIM and LIM? What UIM bolt torque value was used? The old 89 in-lb or the revised 132 in-lb?

tblake
04-10-2010, 08:06 PM
What about the throttle body gasket? Did you swap it out?

crazyoldergirlie
04-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Yes coolant does keep pooling up in the intake manifold valley ... that was the next thing I was going to ask you about why does it keep pooling up in there?
Also I did change the throttle body gasket. I didn't know that there was a revised torque I used 89 in-lb. I really do appreciate your help Thank You! So any clues why the intake keeps pooling coolant? It's so frustrating! have to keep vacuuming it out!

richtazz
04-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Again, what brand gaskets and upper plenum did you buy?

tblake
04-12-2010, 08:40 PM
And what torque sequence did you use?

Add your comment to this topic!