Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Most modern vehicles have a clear coat applied?

Black_Blade
04-09-2010, 03:00 PM
I have some rust repairs I need to see to on my van, the one bad one is in the lower left corner of the passenger side sliding door opening, which is going to be sooo much fun gaining access to. This particular spot has slipped notice and eaten through the metal and I can poke my finger thru into the wheel well. All other spots I've noted are small blemishes that are in easy to access areas.

My Canadian Tire store is trying to order me in some color matched paint, but they said it was a non stock item in ominous tone, so not sure if that means they won't be able to get it or not...:confused:

My question is, does the Winstar have a clear coat on its finish? I asume that most modern vehicles these days all have clear coats. It is the factory paint job, so it must be right? This body repair book I have been checking out, in preparation for my stint as a body repair guy, mentions the application of clear coats in the final steps...

northern piper
04-09-2010, 05:30 PM
yep it's a base coat, clear coat system for sure. If you want to learn a ton of info about body shop repairs, go to www.autobodystore.com. I use that site a lot and have successfully done lots of body work and painting on my w/s among other vehicles. Go to a local auto parts place and have them mix up the paint. Don't fiddle around with CTC. Take it from another Ontario Canadian, CTC is good for some stuff, not autobody supplies.

P

wiswind
04-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Feel over the lower body areas to see if there is also a plastic coating IN ADDITION to the clearcoat.
If it is present......you will be able to feel a line where this coating ends.
It will end no more than about 6"to12" from the bottom of the body.

Black_Blade
04-09-2010, 08:21 PM
yep it's a base coat, clear coat system for sure. If you want to learn a ton of info about body shop repairs, go to www.autobodystore.com. I use that site a lot and have successfully done lots of body work and painting on my w/s among other vehicles. Go to a local auto parts place and have them mix up the paint. Don't fiddle around with CTC. Take it from another Ontario Canadian, CTC is good for some stuff, not autobody supplies.

P

Thanks for the link, Piper, will do some reading on there for sure. Guess a body shop would mix up your paint cheaper than going to Ford...

Black_Blade
04-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Feel over the lower body areas to see if there is also a plastic coating IN ADDITION to the clearcoat.
If it is present......you will be able to feel a line where this coating ends.
It will end no more than about 6"to12" from the bottom of the body.

Didn't notice any extra layer...so I guess that's a good thing...

wiswind
04-10-2010, 10:42 AM
I will guess the the rust you got developed from the inside.
I got some at the same location you mention.
I also had some on the rocker panels (below the doors), which also developed from the inside.
The rest of the vehicle was still rust free.
The vehicle had been rust proofed and undercoated when new.....and when I got it.....I went over the underbody several times touching it up.

No help for the rocker panels because there was some foam type filler in there.....held the water and salt.
Rust came through on my '96 3 years ago in those locations.

Black_Blade
04-10-2010, 12:21 PM
I noticed that filler foam stuff too, it must start right around where my hole started. That's great then, have more to look forward to all along the rockers...wonder who was the genius to think up that foam...:screwy:

AngelinaJolia
06-16-2010, 06:59 AM
If you want to learn a ton of info about body shop repairs.

Groundupautosports
04-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Most likely it is base coat/clear. But regardless of what kind of paint you use..one stage or bc/cc..you will need to have the rust cut out and replaced with new metal or it will come back out down the road. Have any questions or need any advice...contact me..be glad to help.
www.groundupautosports.com (http://www.groundupautosports.com)

big white bufflo
04-09-2011, 01:41 PM
I have done some auto body repair in the past and am going to do my wifes winne lower rocker this summer with older paint it fades you can hide the newer paint and blend it by useing the chipguard to your advanage to hide the lines its not as shinne but also has a texture to it and may prevent future rust i plan on useing this on wifes winne good luck on the repair

Add your comment to this topic!