Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 G-VAN 1500 cranks but no start

gvan1500
04-04-2010, 10:53 PM
2000 G-VAN 1500 cranks but will not start.
Primarily use this vehicle to tow travel trailer during camping season in Michigan, so store it during winter(October-April)in garage, also because of poor fuel economy.
Anyway, fuel pump failed couple years back, replaced with aftermarket pump as was only one available on short notice. Having infrequent issues with it since I suppose. Most recent problem was attempting to start to move it and will only crank, not start. Have spark to distributor and fuel pressure at key on is around 42-45. Falls off to 0 after sitting for a day. Had replaced the distributor cap, rotor, plugs, and wires right after fuel pump issue as had secondary ignition problem(plugs 5 & 7 were quite degraded as I recall).
Am thinking after reading some older posts that fuel pump is faulty. how can i test the fuel pump if i only can get key on results and not while running? Also, had problem with fuel gauge jumping around a bit and vibrating during operation.

serge_saati
04-04-2010, 11:20 PM
how can i test the fuel pump if i only can get key on results and not while running?
At key is enough, since when your turn ON, pump prime for 1 second.
45psi is good. Also, open the door and hear if pump makes sound at rear with the key. It should make a small sound.

If the problem has occured after storing the car too long, maybe the fuel has dried inside the injector and clocked the system. You may need to clean injectors.

Ralph123
04-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Try spraying some starting fluid into the throttle body when turning the key. If it fires up momentarily you have a fuel delivery problem. If nothing happens you probably have an ignition problem.

You can use propane or carb cleaner too.

MT-2500
04-05-2010, 08:16 AM
2000 G-VAN 1500 cranks but will not start.
Primarily use this vehicle to tow travel trailer during camping season in Michigan, so store it during winter(October-April)in garage, also because of poor fuel economy.
Anyway, fuel pump failed couple years back, replaced with aftermarket pump as was only one available on short notice. Having infrequent issues with it since I suppose. Most recent problem was attempting to start to move it and will only crank, not start. Have spark to distributor and fuel pressure at key on is around 42-45. Falls off to 0 after sitting for a day. Had replaced the distributor cap, rotor, plugs, and wires right after fuel pump issue as had secondary ignition problem(plugs 5 & 7 were quite degraded as I recall).
Am thinking after reading some older posts that fuel pump is faulty. how can i test the fuel pump if i only can get key on results and not while running? Also, had problem with fuel gauge jumping around a bit and vibrating during operation.

The only true test on a fuel pump is to check the direct fuel pressure from fuel pump.
A quick test is to block off the return line and see if fuel pressure comes up to 75-85 lbs.
But do not run the pump at full pressure very long.
Also when testing fuel pump and pressure you need to tape a gauge to outside windshield or outside mirror and drive it on the road for 20 -30 minutes
until the pump gets has run a while to check for a pump fading out after hot.

Hard to start cold or hot and fuel pressure testing guide lines.
Check cold start fuel pressure.
Check engine running fuel pressure.
Check engine running on the road fuel pressure.
Then shut it off and watch for fast leak down.
Pinch off at rubber part or block off return line and check full pressure.
If pump has full pressure with return line blocked and low pressure without it blocked most usually the fuel pressure regulator is leaking or not holding pressure.
Later V6 and V8 gm engines should have 60-66 fuel pressure.
Cold start should be 64-65 lbs of pressure.
If you do not have full fuel pressure on a cold start the injectors will not squirt fuel.
Do not leave home without it.
Engine running should be 60-66 lbs pressure depending on engine load.
Full pressure with return pinched off should be 75-85 or more.
And if it has a fast leak down after shut off you have a leak in system.
Post back fuel pressure readings.

If it is not running jumper gray wire to fuel pump an read presure nd then block return line and read full pressure.
Post back them to readings to.

MT-2500
04-05-2010, 08:18 AM
At key is enough, since when your turn ON, pump prime for 1 second.
45psi is good. Also, open the door and hear if pump makes sound at rear with the key. It should make a small sound.

If the problem has occured after storing the car too long, maybe the fuel has dried inside the injector and clocked the system. You may need to clean injectors.

Needs 62-64 lbs pressure engine cranking cold to squirt injectors.

gvan1500
04-05-2010, 10:42 PM
looks like it is the fuel pump.
squirted some starter fluid into air intake and turned it over. fired right up and fuel pressure went up to 60-62. let it run a bit, shut off, relieved pressure from fuel gauge down to zero and then restarted it. started fine after that. was thinking maybe zero pressure would make it go back to not starting at 40 psi, but it fired up fine. Runs smooth. Was down to zero psi from sitting overnight. Thanks for help. OEM next time.

MT-2500
04-06-2010, 08:55 AM
looks like it is the fuel pump.
squirted some starter fluid into air intake and turned it over. fired right up and fuel pressure went up to 60-62. let it run a bit, shut off, relieved pressure from fuel gauge down to zero and then restarted it. started fine after that. was thinking maybe zero pressure would make it go back to not starting at 40 psi, but it fired up fine. Runs smooth. Was down to zero psi from sitting overnight. Thanks for help. OEM next time.

You can not tell by looks.

To test fuel pump you have to run the fuel presure as outlined.

Post back results.

Ralph123
04-06-2010, 10:18 PM
No doubt letting the vehicle sit for that long made you fuel a bit funky. If you get it started again add some seafoam additive and run all that old gas out and then get a new fuel filter.
You may still be having an intermittent problem with your fuel pump though.

mm6diaz
06-23-2010, 07:47 PM
my 1999 chevy van 1500 cranks but doesn't start, spark is OK, but fuel pressure is only 50 psi. Do I have to check the fuel pressure regulator? fuel pump was replaced last year with an aftermarket pump. Today 6-24-10 I put some starting fluid in the intake and the engine started, during the time it was working the pressure gauge neddle was oscilating between 52-56and when I shut it off, the pressure gauge reads 60. It is still connectedand reading around 60. I replaced the fuel filter yesterday and the fuel pump was replaced at Sears and I don't know the maker.

serge_saati
06-23-2010, 09:08 PM
my 1999 chevy van 1500 cranks but doesn't start, spark is OK, but fuel pressure is only 50 psi. Do I have to check the fuel pressure regulator? fuel pump was replaced last year with an aftermarket pump.

Yes, it could be a bad pressure regulator, a clogged fuel filter, fuel line or tank inlet. Or low voltage/current at pump caused by corroded wire.

Try replacing the filter if it's too old.

MT-2500
06-24-2010, 07:30 AM
Best to start a New Thread on your problem.
Saves on hyjacking expensives on other peoples and avoids confusing.

You need to go threw the complete fuel pressure test as outlined in post 4 to find the problem.
Then in a new thread post back all pressure readings for more help.

Pump replaced last year does not tell us much.
What brand pump was it?
We hope not a Junk Airtex.
If so pitch it and get a goof Delphi OEM type pump.

mm6diaz
06-24-2010, 10:45 AM
my 1999 chevy van 1500 cranks but doesn't start, spark is OK, but fuel pressure is only 50 psi. Do I have to check the fuel pressure regulator? fuel pump was replaced last year with an aftermarket pump. Today 6-24-10 I put some starting fluid in the intake and the engine started, during the time it was working the pressure gauge neddle was oscilating between 52-56and when I shut it off, the pressure gauge reads 60. It is still connectedand reading around 60. I replaced the fuel filter yesterday and the fuel pump was replaced at Sears and I don't know the maker..Than you for helping me.

MT-2500
06-24-2010, 11:26 AM
.Than you for helping me.

You are welcome.
Give us all pressure readings and we can point you in the right direction.

mm6diaz
06-24-2010, 07:50 PM
You are welcome.
Give us all pressure readings and we can point you in the right direction.
well, pressure before it statred was 50, after I put some starting fluid it works and the fuel gauge neddle was oscilating between 52 and 56, when I shuted it off the reading was 60 and after 3 hours it was 50, later today I checked the voltage near th epump and it was 12.7. thank you again.

MT-2500
06-25-2010, 08:47 AM
well, pressure before it statred was 50, after I put some starting fluid it works and the fuel gauge neddle was oscilating between 52 and 56, when I shuted it off the reading was 60 and after 3 hours it was 50, later today I checked the voltage near th epump and it was 12.7. thank you again.

We need all of the pressure readings as in post no 4.
Your fuel pressure is to low.
As in post no 4 go threw the complete fuel pressure test to see if fuel pump or pressure regulator is bad.

Post back what you find.

Add your comment to this topic!