Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing Alternator and battery life without.

Solipsis
04-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Hey guys,

My 206's alternator is dead, I managed to make it home thanks to the RAC (worth every penny) and now I have to replace the thing, so I've bought this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-206-1-1-1-4-1-6-ALTERNATOR_W0QQitemZ360142578256QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item53da2b a250

and got a nice fully charged battery in the car for now, basically I was wondering:

A) Is replacing an alternator a straightforward job? Is it something I could do myself? Do you have an links explaining how?

B) Can you give me a ballpark figure for the labour costs to replace it? In the UK.

C) How long will the battery last (rougly) if I make sure to turn off all the unnessessary electrical things in the car. Ideally I need to get to and from work (20 mins each way) until my new alternator arrives...

Thanks for any help you can give me guys.

betuaintgotthis
11-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Is it easy well that depends on your competency with the spanners. The book time is depending on your model is based on a 2001 1.4 litre with air con is 1.3hours. this will be less without aircon (1.1hours). So a garage depending on where you take it too should base their price on that. Your average small garage should be somewhere in the region of £30-£50 per hour.
How long will your battery last entirely depends on the condition of the battery.

Add your comment to this topic!