Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Low RPM? Car jerks?

LethalAce
03-31-2010, 06:27 PM
I own a 1999 Honda Accord LX, and it seems that my RPM is quite low which is making the car jerk forward when i switch gears from R to D4 or when im breaking. Sometimes when im driving the engine spins with no acceleration for about 1-2 seconds and than it really pulls me forward which is bad for the car. Any possible fixes?

2.3L engine vtech, 4 cylinder, automatic. It only has 72k miles, so i was told that transmission failure is very unlikely.

Kinda hard to sell the thing when it has this problem. Please help :)

cherryelky305
03-31-2010, 07:40 PM
Honda transmissions need the fluid changed regularly.

The transmissions are a constant mesh design, which means that all the clutches in it are constantly slipping. Along with that the filters cannot be changed easily. The design of the trans is the reason that honda fluid is special.

with that said do you know the service history on the trans? In my opinon honda trans fluid should be changed every 30K miles.

From the sound of the problems, if that car came into our dealership we would simply price out a transmission for you. 2 or 3 fluid changes might breath some life into it, but its cheaper to replace it with a remanufactured unit than to rebuild it.

FrankVtec88
04-08-2010, 07:51 PM
every 30K miles!!? i change mine every 3rd oil change lol. i had one tranny die on me before, exhibited the same symptoms as yours lethal ace. it would "lag engange" into drive, and then one day it finally pooped and would intermittently feel like shifting into neutral. i would go with replacing it, and taking good care of the new used one.

Add your comment to this topic!