Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

77 monte not shutting off

luxeryvic
03-31-2010, 11:58 AM
hi i have a 77 monte that im restoring and i just got it runnin but when i go to shut it off it doesnt its not dieseling its runnin like normal im thinkin the ignition swith any ideas??? thanks

j cAT
03-31-2010, 12:42 PM
hi i have a 77 monte that im restoring and i just got it runnin but when i go to shut it off it doesnt its not dieseling its runnin like normal im thinkin the ignition swith any ideas??? thanks

run on with the ignition switch off is usually with these engines/yrs dieseling ...to take the guessing out of it you simply measure the voltage 12 volts at the distributor ....switch on 12volts off o volts ....

with no voltage at the coil and the engine continues to run this is carbon deposits in the combustion chamber glowing causing the fuel vapor to ignite /////no spark needed .......

this is usually an overly rich mixture to avoid detonation .....I would get the proceedure to properly adjust the carb mixture screws ...this means a vacuum guage and tach...check timing first ..and make sure no vacuum leaks before adjusting anything ....

idle should be set to 650 rpm in gear....

777stickman
03-31-2010, 04:13 PM
Could be getting feed back thru the alternator. When I installed a new gauge set in the '57 I removed the GEN warning lamp. Had to wire it back in to be able to shut it off without dumping the clutch in gear. Been working fine ever since. I was told that parts places have an item that can be wired into the ALT to prevent this but I never pursued it.

luxeryvic
03-31-2010, 04:30 PM
im pretty sure its not dieseling but where on the switch and distributor do i put a voltage tester to test it and if that is the problem wat do i need to replace?

MagicRat
03-31-2010, 04:55 PM
im pretty sure its not dieseling but where on the switch and distributor do i put a voltage tester to test it and if that is the problem wat do i need to replace?

There should be a fat red wire going into the ignition coil wiring harness(located in the distributor cap) Test this for power, both with the ignition switch turned on, then turned off. Obvouisly, it should be live only when the ignition switch is 'on'...... then let us know the results.

luxeryvic
04-01-2010, 08:08 AM
ok perfect ill test it tonight and get back to you either tonight or tommorrow thanks

luxeryvic
04-04-2010, 04:57 PM
ok so i got a tester on it and it reads 12 volts with the ignition on and off so wat is causing this wat do i do now?

j cAT
04-04-2010, 09:59 PM
ok so i got a tester on it and it reads 12 volts with the ignition on and off so wat is causing this wat do i do now?

well that is the test I stated earlier ...key cycling on /off voltage must go to 12volts then to zero ...this means it must be the ignition switch ....inside the switch the body wears out and then this or other weird things occur,,,never the same ...

luxeryvic
04-05-2010, 11:50 AM
ok so i gotta take the column apart and pull the ignition switch out ?

j cAT
04-05-2010, 02:32 PM
ok so i gotta take the column apart and pull the ignition switch out ?

the ignition switch should be below the dash mounted on the steering collumn ..a rod from the key cylinder is the linkage that , moves the switch toggle...should have several wires going to it ...

get the switch first so you know what it looks like ..

the key cylinder is not the switch location ...

luxeryvic
04-05-2010, 04:31 PM
ok so it ll be a separate part from the key then ok ill look for it tonight and get back to you

luxeryvic
04-10-2010, 07:14 AM
ok got er off and just waitin for the new part thanks

luxeryvic
04-13-2010, 08:28 AM
ok so the new switch came in and i got everything in place but it still doesnt shut off??? wat do i do now???

777stickman
04-13-2010, 05:02 PM
If you have 12v at the coil with the key off and the engine off it's an issue with how things were wired during the resto.

j cAT
04-13-2010, 08:03 PM
ok so the new switch came in and i got everything in place but it still doesnt shut off??? wat do i do now???

this appears to be a miss wiring or wires shorted out ...the ignition feed wire to the carbody wiring that always has a feed ...

using a meter check the wiring at the switch , see if you can switch power on off there with the key..it is possible the distributor was improperly wired to a feed that is always on not coming from the ignition switch as well..

luxeryvic
04-14-2010, 11:05 AM
i left all the wiring in place during the project its not a full resto more just rebuild i guess so where do i all have to test?

j cAT
04-15-2010, 08:42 AM
i left all the wiring in place during the project its not a full resto more just rebuild i guess so where do i all have to test?

with the key not in the ignition measure the coil/distributor voltage, which you previously stated as being 12 volts which is an incorrect condition....then pull one fuse at a time to locate what fuse is feeding this voltage ...then follow this wire until you find the reason it somehow supplies power to the distributor coil....

also after pulling a fuse and this then removes power to the coil turn ignition to on and see if you now have power at coil ..

luxeryvic
04-15-2010, 11:38 AM
ok so am i just looking for a chewed up wire or wat do i have to look for

j cAT
04-15-2010, 03:38 PM
ok so am i just looking for a chewed up wire or wat do i have to look for

using a voltmeter follow my instructions ..

then report what fuse is feeding the coil/distributor ..then if that is the case follow the wire to where it goes and what it is feeding ..report what it is connected to what is the fuse name etc...

luxeryvic
04-23-2010, 11:30 AM
ok so i tryed the fuse thing and nothin i even tried pullin all the fuses and it still gets power there??? i checked that i have the wiring right and i think i do but the one red wire that goes to the starter branches off which looks original and one goes to thedistributor and then 2 others to the alternator now at the starter this wire is on the same terminal as the battery cable so it makes sense to me that its gettin the power from the battery the whole time? is it supposed to be like this or do i have somethin wrong?

j cAT
04-23-2010, 08:22 PM
ok so i tryed the fuse thing and nothin i even tried pullin all the fuses and it still gets power there??? i checked that i have the wiring right and i think i do but the one red wire that goes to the starter branches off which looks original and one goes to the distributor and then 2 others to the alternator now at the starter this wire is on the same terminal as the battery cable so it makes sense to me that its gettin the power from the battery the whole time? is it supposed to be like this or do i have somethin wrong?

I was hoping you would reply on your findings...

good work pulling all the fuses and you still had 12volts on the distributor ...

yes it appears that this is incorrect...the feed to the distributor should come from a fuse that has a feed from the ignition switch...when the switch is on ,,,, then and only then will the distributor have power ...unfortuately I do not have the wiring diagram to say exactly where this is , as built ,,,,but with some work by you , to locate a suitible connection /circuit that has power when the ignition switch is on would work...

1977 is an oldie ...I had a 1973 impala the wiring and circuits are very limited and easy to follow ..you can do it, just be patient and make wiring diagrams / wire colors ...

luxeryvic
04-25-2010, 06:59 AM
thanks lol im 18 and this is my first project im doin everything myself just wiring is nt my strong point i do have a haynes manual for it that has wiring diagrams wat am i looking for i can post them if it would help

j cAT
04-25-2010, 08:07 PM
thanks lol im 18 and this is my first project im doin everything myself just wiring is nt my strong point i do have a haynes manual for it that has wiring diagrams wat am i looking for i can post them if it would help

send me the diagram in a email/private message ..

Add your comment to this topic!