Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 Concorde brake light diagnostic/troubleshooting

vhandobi
03-30-2010, 11:04 AM
I've recently purchased a used 2003 Concorde LXI. Recently the brake light has come on (not ABS). I've never owned a Chrysler in the past, but am familiar with other makes (Buick, Chevy, Ford). I checked the usual suspects (brake fluid level, parking brake on) but they both seemed fine. Is there a way to troubleshoot this light without taking it in to a repair center? I'm wondering what one might look at first (master cylinder, vacuum, any wheel sensors, brakes themselves?) The car still seems to stop and run fine. I don't notice anything dragging or pulling nor does actual braking seem affected, but I don't want to continue with this light on. In the past the forums have proved invaluable and I am hoping someone can help me as well. I am going to try to pick up a Haynes manual with wiring diagram as well to see if I can trace anything of use related to this problem.

Thanks in advance! Any help is appreciated!

jdl
03-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Unplug the parking brake wiring connector, see if lite goes out. Is possible, the wiring circuit for the lamp is shorted to ground, somewhere?

vhandobi
03-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks! At the risk of sounding dumb (until I get a manual or wiring diagram) where would I find the wire? Is this on the parking break itself, or the light or something in the dash or somewhere else?

jdl
03-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Check the parking brake, itself, should be an electrical connector?

vhandobi
03-31-2010, 09:02 AM
So, at a high level, how does the indicator light get triggered? Are there sensors on the wheels, brakes, vacuum? I plan on trying to check the connection as JDL suggested this weekend as well as pulling the rear wheels to try to check the parking brakes. Was just curious how a fault is indicated or detected. It has to be sensors somewhere.

From what I can tell I think this is what occurs:
1. Parking brake on while vehicle in motion sets indicator
2. Sensor on master cylinder or booster monitors left and right hydraulic lines. If one fails, indicator triggers and other side tries to take over stopping the car.

There does not appear to be any specific triggers on the brakes or wheels themselves that would trigger a fault from what I can see in the diagrams. I would assume that if fluid in the master cylinder is staying constant and not loosing any then there probably is not a leak.

vhandobi
04-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Ok. Found the parking brake, but have no clue how to get to the wire harness on the backside. Might have to start pulling modules in order to reach it.

However, I had time to pull a front and back wheel. Pads are getting low, but not needing replaced just yet. However, the interesting thing I noticed is that the rear pads almost seem to be touching the rotor. I'd expect the calipers and pad to at least float a little more distance away from the rotor similar to the front pads (not sure if rear brakes function that much differently than the front). Further, when I tried to rotate the rear wheel back and forth there seemed to be some resistance and possible grinding noise. I did not have enough time to pull the hub off and check the e-brake though; however I don't think any type of resistance and especially grinding of the rear wheels are normal. I verified that the e-brake cable still works and is not rusted or broke or stuck.

Therefore I think I need to re-pull the rear wheel and hub to inspect the e-brake as well as look at the rear calipers for any failures. Not sure how a stuck e-brake or failed caliper would trigger the brake indicator light (unless maybe a vaccum or master cylinder sensor...maybe?) but that is the next thing I want to check.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions based off of the information provided?

Add your comment to this topic!