Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

hey LMP got a question

thejman3
03-29-2010, 10:14 PM
i want the factory fogs to stay on with my high beams, do i add another relay like i did with my low beams? or can i just give them a constant ground to work?

i already have a small set of aftermarkets in the lower bumper slot but want to mod the stock fog wiring.

thanks in advance!
1996 3.4

LMP
03-30-2010, 05:55 AM
I do not have the diagram for 96 but they are probably hard wired as 96 according to my search does not have a body control module.
The fogs are probably switched on the hot side, not the ground side....do you think they already are relay controlled...? I doubt they would be....(EDIT) well i checked on Rockauto and indeed, no relay, and the fog switch is obviously hot wired so adding a relay (with coil feed taken from the high beam hot feed like diagram below) is no problem.
I have also added a relay to keep the lows with the high beams , and another relay for my aftermarket long range beams (park relocated in the gille) ...and would add another for the fogs (if I had).
www.avigex.ca/xport/extrarelays.jpg
www.avigex.ca/xport/headbeams.jpg
park - high - low

thejman3
03-30-2010, 01:24 PM
thanks! i had a feeling they would be the same as the low beams. i was hoping it would be as easy as my eclipse. all i had to do was make a jumper wire and give them a constant ground for them to stay on...took about a minute to do, but adding another relay is not that bad either.

when i get done i should have no problems at all seeing at night, i already added a aftermarket harness for my low/high beams that goes straight to the battery, and i run noncoated true 80watt lows and 100watt highs made by hella. i also have 100watt H3's on backup for my 55watt fogs if i need them.

LMP
03-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Yeah..using relays to feed headlight has been my way for decades. Old time screw type twin relays are nowhere to find now though... unless you can tell me otherwise...
All the wiring from battery to fuse/breaker box to light panel switch to hilo switch to headlights consumes as much as 2 volts due to #16 wiring and contact resistance ...that is generator output is at 14.5 volt and all that is left at headlights is a mere 12.5 v...and increasing the bulb wattpower just increases the voltage loss....
Using all that original wiring to feed just the relay coil , and then feeding the relay contacts direct from generator and then to headlights adds tremendous power to the headlights.

Add your comment to this topic!