Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alero window clips

exitRooster
03-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Been a year (based on search results) since anyone said anything about window clips on an Alero.. Mine busted (awhile ago), and finally in the position to put some money to fix it on the table.. Last I read there were three possible types of clips - Black, while, and metal. Most recent post used metal ones - Said they were hard to mount.. Wondering what the preferred type is these days, and how hard it'd be for someone without a Dremel tool to do.. Also wondering how risky it is to remove the door panel.. Interiors frighten me slightly, but so do the fee's charged to take it to a shop, knowing how simple the fix is, relatively speaking.. Nothing sux more than paying some $100-300 for a $10-20 dollar part and quick install. :(

Iflylow
04-01-2010, 04:24 PM
There are a few posts on door panel removal, just do a search. It isn't hard, just take your time.

exitRooster
04-02-2010, 02:46 PM
There are a few posts on door panel removal, just do a search. It isn't hard, just take your time.

That's cool and all - I've been there, read, re-read actually (followed it back when everyone was first having problems..) But as I mentioned, in the most recent post, over a year ago, people were talking about 3 different types of these clips, and since I'm about to be doing this, I'd sure like to know what people had the best results with.. Both installing and now that it's been some time, whether they've lasted or not.

Interestingly I've taken it two other places for estimates - Both told me you can't order the clips themselves, they come on new glass (this was backed by one place who has an auto-glass 2nd party consultant), one of the two insisted it was my regulator and would have to charge me for possibly both (utter crap, you can hear the regulator working just fine inside the door, lol).. I'm guessing both places, which have been reputable are trying to get "easy cash" for a well-known issue. Schmucks! Anywho - really like to hear from anyone who's replaced em, which you chose, and how their holding up. ;)

ncbillsfan
05-03-2010, 06:55 PM
I have not seen the metal clips for sale anywhere, but I have found the white plastic ones at autozone.com they are about $8. For the clips, just search "Help / GM 1992-2005 Window Sash Kit" Everywhere I have read they said it takes time to remove the adhesive from the window, but it can be done without a dremel, just using a hacksaw if needed - just be careful. Also, make sure you get the correct 3M window adhesive for bonding plastic to glass as you don't want to have to reinstall them if they come off.
Hope this helps.

zzyzzx2
05-10-2010, 03:05 PM
I also have never heard of metal clips either.

Aler0Guy
10-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Go to this link ... not only do they sell the clips ... but they also have online "how to" repair videos you may find helpful about how to repair your assembly. Watch the videos to decide if you want to attempt it yourself or take it to a mechanic. I neither work for or officially endorse this dealer ... but I stumbled on the link while researching a similar problem on my 2000 Alero.
Good luck ... hope this helps. Here is the link.
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/WindowRegulators/Oldsmobile/Alero

Add your comment to this topic!