Vtec-E D16Y5

Skinnydaddy
04-29-2003, 03:47 PM
Anyone have an idea on what I can do with this engine? What mods or bolt on parts that might help improve the Hp?

Skinnydaddy
98 Honda Civic HX

Kill4A911
04-29-2003, 10:03 PM
ill probably take shit for this but ive been thinking about a nice reasonable 35-50 hp N20 fogger. i would have the rods balanced and shotpeened and break in some new piston rings first though.

civickiller
04-29-2003, 10:56 PM
ever think about a motor swap ?

94tegRS
04-29-2003, 11:22 PM
yeah, your vtec is for economy, not power. but If yo dont want much then go with it, otherwise get the D16Z6, or maybe a B16 or whatever. how much $$$ u wanna spend

Skinnydaddy
05-01-2003, 11:05 AM
I would love to do an engine swap but do to the fact that money is a major issue I do not think I could come up with the cash for the new motor. I was hoping that someone had come up with something. The motor that is in there is very good at the High rpm rang and I have pushed it up to the redline several times. I have a feeling that people see the E on the end of the vtec and think that it is not worth working with. I don't have an amount that I have set but just when I have a paycheck free to go out a buy something that I could just put on or save up little by little for the more expensive parts. I had a 92 Mustang and getting parts for it was not anywhere near as confusing as getting them for the Honda. I really had no idea what I was getting into with Honda when I bought it. Hell the only thing I have on it right now are some taillights I got for fixing this guys laptopů.
Also is the engine governor for the car a chip or something else? At about 118mph the fuel cuts off till the car is below the 110mph level..

Skinnydaddy
98 Honda Hx

Kill4A911
05-01-2003, 08:47 PM
you could swap heads, i dont know if you would get alot of hp but you would gain potential.

91civicDXdude
05-02-2003, 12:13 PM
I have a feeling that people see the E on the end of the vtech and think......

I see an H on the end of VTEC :rolleyes:

Skinnydaddy
05-02-2003, 01:01 PM
Doh! Ok, fixed it.

Skinnydaddy
98 Honda Civic Hx

Son, your eyes are red, have you been drinking?

No officer but your eyes are glazed over, have you been eating doughnuts?

94tegRS
05-02-2003, 09:18 PM
you have gotten a civic HX to 118 wow, didnt even think it was possible. and it is the computer stops opening the injectors to slow you back down, cuz thats where honda set the speed limiter, but you could get a chip to ditch that I bet.

and the HX has a D series just like the rest right? just a vtec E head and not a normal vtec head, so yeah, you could swap the D16Z6 head on there and I think the vtec would still work, cuz the computer will send oil to the rocker assemblie just like before. then you dont need anything but the head.

you might wanna get the computer form EX civics later on if you do this though cuz that ECU is tuned more for performance than the HX

BOOTY023
11-11-2003, 11:48 PM
this is a great site on vtec info: http://asia.vtec.net/spfeature/vtecimpl/vtec1.html

Skinnydaddy
11-12-2003, 02:40 AM
One thing I have noticed since driving this model is if you drive it to hard you burn a hole in the cat. This has just happen in the last few weeks. Still working on getting it to a higher HP rating. I do know that with the 3 stage Vtec I have been faster then a lot of DX and even some EX models. Still looking for Chip upgrades or something that will get away from the 118 top end but have found nothing. It looks like I'm going to have to Hack the chip and reprogram it my self. Anyone else Looked in to this? Oh, and On another note. With an O2 tank feeding right in to the fuel line. (No not Nitro) I have gotten 0 to 60 in about 6.2 sec. This may not look like a lot but down from the 7.4 sec. I was getting is I think doing pretty good. Now if I can just keep My radio from being stolen I'll be happy. I have had the car a little over 2 years and it has been broken in to 6 times. Damn DALLAS.

Skinnydaddy
98 Honda Civic HX

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821) :banghead:

Skinnydaddy
11-12-2003, 02:50 AM
this is a great site on vtec info: http://asia.vtec.net/spfeature/vtecimpl/vtec1.html
(for some reason it will not let me edit.)

Thanks for the Link.

skinnydaddy

"Don't stay in bed, unless you can make money in bed."
- George Burns (1896-1996)

I am.
It's called an Unemployment check.
Skinnydaddy

Add your comment to this topic!