Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Electric Fan Mod on tap

fordman123
04-28-2003, 08:17 PM
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here has made a mod to replace the nagging fan clutch woes.. Seems this thing needs to be replaced about once a year because it is so ?>%#$#@# loud.. Cools fine, but man this thing is horrible.. I have been looking around at various websites and parts stores at their electric cooling fans.. It seems as though I would probably be better off with one as far as money goes so I decided to do it. But I would like some input from any of you that have done the conversion.

I want the fan to come on go off by a coolant sensor if possible.
And I would like an override manual switch in case the sensor goes sour.
Does anyone know of a kit?
If so, where would I find it..
I plan on doing the conversion myself, the only thing is, I ain't used to working on Chevy's... always been the ragged Ford's.. LOL

Thanks guys

Fordman123

fordman123
04-28-2003, 08:31 PM
PS almost forgot It's a 1990 model S-10.. used to be a 4 banger.. now it's a 4.3L with auto trans..

Fordman123

dugie6551
06-04-2004, 09:38 AM
getting an electric fan will probably be very wise investment and get you better cooling and better mileage. Any fan kit will have all you need to replace the clutch fan.
I have a 350 V8 in my s10 with (2) 12" fans mounted in front of the rad pushing air through. They are on a manual switch only. Had a temperature switch and it broke on the highway, so now I control when it comes on and off. Make sure to put a fuse inline so you don't overheat the electrical.

TopDogg
06-04-2004, 10:55 PM
If you want to save a few bucks you can get a good name brand fan on Ebay. If you choose a fan with the right mounting dimensions you will get atleast a 14 possibly a 16" fan for a puller.
Expect a noticable difference.
Some fans can be bought with a temp switch. If not you can find good ones at Summitracing.com
Dont worry about installation problems since you will more than likely get directions with new parts.

Flex-a-lite makes a fan just for your truck in the "Black Magic" series. But this one is a little more costly.

Add your comment to this topic!