Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gunze Mr Color Lacquers?

RallyRaider
04-28-2003, 06:48 AM
Since the search engine isn't working I can't look back through the archive to find an answer to this question, so have to start a new thread.

Anyway can anybody confirm if the Mr Color range by Gunze Sangyo (GSI Creos) is laquer, enamel or acrylic based? I know their Hobby Color range is aqueous, but have seen the Mr Color range described as all of the above! Their offical documentation is in Japanese so it is difficult to be sure based on seconfd hand info.

Reason being is I'm looking for a cheaper lacquer paint option than decanting from Tamiya rattle cans. I recently tried Gunze primers, after the were recommended on this forum, and was very pleased with them. So it might be that Mr Color paints are what I'm looking for. I'll have to order them from overseas so would like to know it it is worth taking a chance. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

daggerlee
04-28-2003, 07:01 AM
Everything I've read has led me to believe they are lacquer based.

Myself, I just ordered 6 lacquer paints from cobracolors.com after the tipoff from 360spider. At $6 each they were comparable to the cost of Tamiya spray cans. But since you don't build Ferraris, I guess it wouldn't be of too much use to you :o

RallyRaider
04-28-2003, 07:56 AM
Thanks for that Dan. I'm forming the same opinion, anybody out there actually tried them or at least caught a wiff?

Great website too! True I don't build many Ferraris but after checking out that web site I could be tempted! A shame they only seem to ship to US addresses. :mad:

Veyron
04-28-2003, 08:03 AM
According to Rainbow Ten, Mr. Color is lacquer. :)

IanLi
04-28-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by RallyRaider
Anyway can anybody confirm if the Mr Color range by Gunze Sangyo (GSI Creos) is laquer, enamel or acrylic based?

Yes, it's a lacquer, and it's good stuff imo.

You'll love 'em. :D

hirofkd
04-28-2003, 11:26 AM
Satisfied user of Mr. Color for more than 20 years. :)
It's synthetic lacquer based acrylic paint, which is compatible with Tamiya spray.
So, if you like Tamiya Spray, you can expect the same result from Mr. Color. They have a wide range of paints, and some colors are specific to car models. Gunze also has auto color sprays.
The same applies to Modeler's Racing Spray and bottle, and they are also synthetic lacquer based acrylic paint.

JDM Evo7
04-28-2003, 01:21 PM
If you're in the US and looking for Mr. Color bottles for airbrushing I like this place. The guy is trying to get his company off the ground.

www.moschini.biz

Rtuned
04-28-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by hirofkd
Satisfied user of Mr. Color for more than 20 years. :)
It's synthetic lacquer based acrylic paint, which is compatible with Tamiya spray.
So, if you like Tamiya Spray, you can expect the same result from Mr. Color. They have a wide range of paints, and some colors are specific to car models. Gunze also has auto color sprays.
The same applies to Modeler's Racing Spray and bottle, and they are also synthetic lacquer based acrylic paint.
Ditto.

But do remember 1 thing. Do not spray Tamiya color on Mr. Hobby Color. You will :cry: :zx11pisse. As for those Auto color sprays, it's come with mostly special color code like Fly yellow, but only 50oz with 500yen. You will love the lacquer paint, at least I do.:o :D

daggerlee
04-28-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by JDM Evo7
If you're in the US and looking for Mr. Color bottles for airbrushing I like this place. The guy is trying to get his company off the ground.

www.moschini.biz

Those are really cheap. How big are the bottles? 10mL?

JDM Evo7
04-28-2003, 05:11 PM
They're the same size as the small Tamiya bottles. But you thin it down more than Tamiya acrylic so you get a decent amount of coverage per bottle.

RallyRaider
04-28-2003, 07:10 PM
Thanks very much for the information guys, sounds like Mr Color is going to be all I hoped for! Will be placing a big order for some soon :)

Thanks for mentioning Modeller's paints Hiroaki, I'd been wondering about them too.

I can see where the confusion arose. Lacquer based acrylic as opposed to water based acrylic. I wonder what acrylic actually means? I used to think it meant water based but apparently not :confused:

daggerlee
04-28-2003, 07:30 PM
Also FYI, Modeler's is a company geared towards car modeling. Their motto is "We love Motorsports, and we love motorcars." I remember someone doing a comparison, Modeler's is the best paint for painting cars, followed by Finisher's, then Gunze, then Tamiya...if I recall correctly

Add your comment to this topic!