Transmission not shifting

mechgo1977
03-27-2010, 10:46 PM
I have a 93 4L60E that seems to work ok if shifting it manually but to put it in drive it will not shift. Almost seems like it is slipping, but if I shift it from 1st to 2nd and so on it works other than hesitating from 3rd to 4th.

Any ideas would a be great

MT-2500
03-28-2010, 10:48 AM
I have a 93 4L60E that seems to work ok if shifting it manually but to put it in drive it will not shift. Almost seems like it is slipping, but if I shift it from 1st to 2nd and so on it works other than hesitating from 3rd to 4th.

Any ideas would a be great

First thing how is fluid and fluid level and fluid condition and filter?
Is engine running good with no engine code?
How many miles on transmission?
Has transmission ever been serviced and what kind of fluid used in it?
Give other repair history engine or transmission or computer system may help

93 up automatic transmissions are computer controlled and computer shifted and need to be put on a transmission/engine capable scanner to test and get codes and read out transmission shift data and slippage and do shift testing built into scanner.
Codes and slippage and shift data tells you a lot about transmission condition.

Parts places OBD11 or OBD1 scanners will not do the job on checking or testing transmission.
Best to find a good repair shop that has the good scanners.

Get it tested on a good transmission scanner and post back any transmission or engine codes and out of spec data.
And answer upper questions.
And then we can help

serge_saati
03-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Could also be vehicle speed sensor or transmission speed sensor. Does your speedometer and tachometer works?

Cause it doesn't shift automatically from 1 to 2 but it does it manually.

MT-2500
03-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Could also be vehicle speed sensor or transmission speed sensor. Does your speedometer and tachometer works?

Another reason to get it on a scanner.

mechgo1977
03-28-2010, 01:03 PM

93 up automatic transmissions are computer controlled and computer shifted and need to be put on a transmission/engine capable scanner to test and get codes and read out transmission shift data and slippage and do shift testing built into scanner.

Parts places OBD11 or OBD1 scanners will not do the job on checking or testing transmission.

Get it tested on a good transmission scanner and post back any transmission or engine codes and out of spec data.
And then we can help
Fluid is fine, engine runs fine no codes there, transmission was rebuild about a year ago and has maybe 5000 miles on the rebuild.
I will try and get a scanner hooked up to see what codes are there.

thanks for the info

mechgo1977
03-28-2010, 01:05 PM

speedometer and tack work, just replaced the speed sensor and another because it was bad.

thanks

serge_saati
03-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Ok, but there's another speed sensor that monitor the input shaft speed of the transmission. If this one is not working/mis aligned, the PCM doesn't know when it should shift in D mode.

When you shift in 2 manually, PCM doesn't care of this sensor.

transman618
03-30-2010, 02:18 AM
Ok, but there's another speed sensor that monitor the input shaft speed of the transmission. If this one is not working/mis aligned, the PCM doesn't know when it should shift in D mode.

When you shift in 2 manually, PCM doesn't care of this sensor.

The 4L60E does not have an input shaft speed sensor. Going to need some more info from the OP. For instance:

When you place the gear selector in "D" and hit the gas, what happens??
When in "D" does the transmission start off in 1st gear and just stay in 1st?? Be totally sure that the transmission is starting in 1st. Is it possible that the transmission is trying to start off in 3rd gear?? That would mean that there could be a problem of 12v getting to the transmission. You can confirm this by checking for 12vdc at the "Pink" wire on the transmission connector. If you have no power to the transmission it wont shift at all, it will stay in 3rd gear (Both shift solenoids off) you will still be able to manually shift by use of the gear selector.

transman

mechgo1977
03-30-2010, 09:52 AM
The 4L60E does not have an input shaft speed sensor. Going to need some more info from the OP. For instance:

When you place the gear selector in "D" and hit the gas, what happens??
When in "D" does the transmission start off in 1st gear and just stay in 1st?? Be totally sure that the transmission is starting in 1st. Is it possible that the transmission is trying to start off in 3rd gear?? That would mean that there could be a problem of 12v getting to the transmission. You can confirm this by checking for 12vdc at the "Pink" wire on the transmission connector. If you have no power to the transmission it wont shift at all, it will stay in 3rd gear (Both shift solenoids off) you will still be able to manually shift by use of the gear selector.

transman
When it is in "D" it does nothing like it is in neutral. But it will go into reverse and individual gears manually.

serge_saati
03-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Ohh, maybe it's just a bad contact in TRS (transmission range sensor). Test this part to see if it's that the problem. Or try moving the shifter up and down a little bit when you're in D. Does the shifter is hard to move?

mechgo1977
03-31-2010, 08:39 AM
Ohh, maybe it's just a bad contact in TRS (transmission range sensor). Test this part to see if it's that the problem. Or try moving the shifter up and down a little bit when you're in D. Does the shifter is hard to move?
that would be a easy fix, where is the TRS at, on the tranny or in the column??

serge_saati
03-31-2010, 09:32 AM
In my car, it's above the top of the transmission.
Behind the air filter at driver side. Close to the firewall.

Try also to spray spray contact to the switch to verify that it's the problem.

transman618
04-01-2010, 01:24 PM

The range sensor on a 4L60E is bolted to the side of the transmission where the linkages attach to the manual shaft. DO NOT take it apart, they can be checked with a scanner. Your problem sounds more internal like leaking past the sealing rings on the input drum. I would take it back to the builder and see what he says.

transman

mechgo1977
04-02-2010, 11:10 AM
The range sensor on a 4L60E is bolted to the side of the transmission where the linkages attach to the manual shaft. DO NOT take it apart, they can be checked with a scanner. Your problem sounds more internal like leaking past the sealing rings on the input drum. I would take it back to the builder and see what he says.

transman
This 4L60E does not have a range sensor then, it has the normal linkage at that location. I was going to pull the valve body and double check to make sure that none of the valves were stuck. I would enjoy taking this back to the builder, since I had told them I needed this one completely rebuilt so it would last but they are 800 miles away.

Thanks for the info, would the input drum leaking be the only problem or would the clutches also be bad.

MT-2500
04-02-2010, 12:11 PM
This 4L60E does not have a range sensor then, it has the normal linkage at that location. I was going to pull the valve body and double check to make sure that none of the valves were stuck. I would enjoy taking this back to the builder, since I had told them I needed this one completely rebuilt so it would last but they are 800 miles away.

Thanks for the info, would the input drum leaking be the only problem or would the clutches also be bad.

It may have normal linkage but if a 4L60E the will be a range sensor on the side where the shift linkage goes in.

But as said in no 2 post.

mechgo1977
04-02-2010, 03:25 PM
It may have normal linkage but if a 4L60E the will be a range sensor on the side where the shift linkage goes in.

But as said in no 2 post.

This is a 93 and there is no range sensor on the outside of the the transmission. Is there one on the inside that I am not finding?

The following reply was mentioned in post #5

Normal ~ "First thing how is fluid and fluid level and fluid condition and filter?"
Normal no codes ~ "Is engine running good with no engine code?"
5,000 ~ "How many miles on transmission?"
Serviced and used Dextron ~ "Has transmission ever been serviced and what kind of fluid used in it?"
(Rebuilt motor and Rebuilt Trans by a good shop) ~ Give other repair history engine or transmission or computer system may help

Any other ideas would be much appreciated, I don't have a scanner or the $1500 for a shop to tell me it needs rebuilt. I am just trying to narrow down where the problem might be before tearing it apart.

MT-2500
04-02-2010, 03:56 PM
This is a 93 and there is no range sensor on the outside of the the transmission. Is there one on the inside that I am not finding?

The following reply was mentioned in post #5

Normal ~ "First thing how is fluid and fluid level and fluid condition and filter?"
Normal no codes ~ "Is engine running good with no engine code?"
5,000 ~ "How many miles on transmission?"
Serviced and used Dextron ~ "Has transmission ever been serviced and what kind of fluid used in it?"
(Rebuilt motor and Rebuilt Trans by a good shop) ~ Give other repair history engine or transmission or computer system may help

Any other ideas would be much appreciated, I don't have a scanner or the $1500 for a shop to tell me it needs rebuilt. I am just trying to narrow down where the problem might be before tearing it apart.
What sise and model and engine and 2W or 4W?

How many wires going into transmission.

A good shop should no be over a 100$ to test it out
Before throwing parts at it get it cheked on a transmission capable scanner to find the problem.
Also the scannner test will show if range sensor is working right.

MT-2500
04-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Looks like range switch may be inside transmission on the 93.

serge_saati
04-02-2010, 08:29 PM
When you put it in 1st or 2nd, does it slip sometime, or it always works great?
The D has never worked since you've the problem? Or it engage/disengage sometime?

Add your comment to this topic!