Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clearcoat problems

vette_7t9
04-24-2003, 06:43 PM
I applied this huge 1m thick layer of clearcoat(exagerated) on my already screwed up corvette body, and it destroyed the body even more. The silver window trim just dripped and mixed in with the blue body color, and the decals DISSOLVED! I don't know if this is because of my huge coat, or because of it was automotive clearcoat. DOH DOH DOH plz give me some advice. I would also appreciate painting advice, since I quitted this for 6 months, and i don't know how to paint good anymore.

Sidewinder-03
04-24-2003, 07:01 PM
It sounds like you used an enamel based colorcoat. If you did, never use automotive clear over it. I would suggest useing an enamel clear such as Testors clear gloss you can get at Wal-Mart, or use Future floor polish over your paint and decals. Also, it is a bad idea to use automotive clear over kit decals. HTH

floyd-j
04-24-2003, 09:16 PM
On a similar note, is it OK to use an acrylic clear over any enamel paint job? I have both, but I think the acryl will be better for the decals (which use the acrylic clear as a sealer after printing).

bah humbug
04-24-2003, 09:23 PM
.... use the clear from the company of the paint u used.

Spray in light coats. Even if u use the right clear but spray a heavy coat you'll probably ruin the decals.

It is never happened to me because it would be common sence not to over spray clear and paint.

1 more tip just in case, don't spray clear over plastic.

Add your comment to this topic!